Thursday, January 14, 2010

Stampin' Sisters in Christ

I was asked by the Stampin Sisters in Christ Challenge to be their Guest Designer this week the challenge is:

SCRIPTURE

Hosea 6:1 "Come, let us return to the Lord. He has torn us to pieces but he will heal us; he has injured us but he will bind up our wounds."

CHALLENGE

The challenge is to make the broken look beautiful...create a mosaic, or tear apart and stitch back together. In some way have your image look broken and repaired

Mmmmm does this sound like distressing or maybe a bit arty was there panic in my face when I read the challenge.
Then I saw a marvellous bit cardstock from Pinkbaglady at crop before Christmas, it was wonderful, torn pieces of cardstock, lace and then stitched randomly, she had been shown how to do this in a class.
You might be saying where is the lace and where's the stitching, my version went wrong, I used scraps of cardstock and PVA glue and there lies the problem. My finished cardstock is like a plate, you can eat off it and probably wash it clean its that hard.
I wanted to bin it but then I read the challenge again "he will heal us" so I was deterimed that by hook or by crook I was going to make a card out of that plate. First I left it over night under several heavy books cos it curled like a plate too!
I knew a butterfly using the similar colours would work but it got lost with the cardstock background which is why I used a embossed circle to help it define itself.
There had to be a bit of ribbon, the sentiment is Simon Says Stamps clear stamp set who by the way are sponsoring the challenge. To finish, some pearls for the butterfly body and to embellish the corner.
Not bad after all, but it real life it weighs a ton and you would probably have to pay extra for postage. Next time I will dilute the PVA!

46 comments:

Anita said...

How beautiful is this!! I gladly pay extra to receive this card on my doormat!
xoxo Anita

Willy's creations said...

Woww what a beauty..love the butterfly.

Hugs,Willy

Anonymous said...

WOWZER!! Debby, this is sooo gorgeous!! I adore that beautiful butterfly!! Amazing!!

Georgia said...

Hi Debby!
I love this card! It is so beautiful! The butterfly is stunning and the colour combo great!

Hope your keeping warm!
Love and Hugs
Georgia :)

Andrea, said...

Oh this is fab Debby, your background looks great and I love the papers and butterfly.

Lil Daffodil said...

Hi Debby,
This card is beautiful. There is obviously a lot of work in it but all those torne papers actually look as though they are all one.
Beautiful colours and a fantastic butterfly.
Hugs,
Fiona x

Mandi said...

What a different idea!
Stunning butterfly

Striking colours, great card

mandi xx

Danielle said...

This is totally inspired Debby! I love the torn pieces of cardstock - it really makes for a beautiful and unique background! And the way you've showcased the butterfly is exquisite - I LOVE this card!
Hugs, Danielle

kelly ledder said...

This is beautiful Debby xx

Nina said...

Such a beautiful card, love the bytterfly!!

Hugs from Nina

Brocéliane said...

gorgeous :)

Jo said...

Debby this is fabulous, I love it, so unusual, I would have got in such a mess with the PVA but you have made it look so good!! Hugs Jo x

Riet said...

What a beautiful card Debby,i love your image.
So gorgeous papers and colours.

Hugs Riet.xx

shaz earl said...

It's a beautiful card Debby maybe you could hang it on the wall instead of posting it..xx

gina g said...

wow Debby this is gorgeous i love the butterfly its stunning and the colours make you think of summer watching the butterflies in the garden with a glass of wine lol well one can dream cant they. luv gina xx

Dragonlady said...

Wowzer, that is amazing Debby. The butterfly is so full of movement.

Hugs Ali x

Anonymous said...

Stunning Debby, beautiful butterfly,
Hugs
Carole x

coldwaters2 said...

Wonderful creation Debby firstly I adore that butterfly and that design with the torn papers is just so effective I love it

Hugs
Lorraine x

Ali Watson said...

I'm loving this card Debby and there is that lush buterfly again scrummy.

pinky said...

Read all about you over there Debby and your card is just perfect, well done Mrs.
Pinky

hello gorgeous said...

Oh Debby! This is gorgeous! I LOVE the butterflies! :o)

hugs

hello gorgeous xxx

Frances said...

you've just given me a good chuckle with your 'plate' story Debby but I'm glad you 'stuck' with it (ha, ha get it?!) as the finished card is lovely. x

Jannhild said...

Gorgeous card, Debby!! Lovely colours and the butterfly was very beautiful:)

Hugs, Jannhild

Anonymous said...

Oh wow Debby!
This is absolutely beautiful!
I love your butterfly and your paper and detail is so gorgeous!

Hugs Jannie.

Shirley N said...

Oh how I love your butterfly Debby! Beautiful card!

Joey said...

Hi Debby

WOW, this is gorgeous, that effect you have created with the paper works so well, love the butterfly

Joey.x

Anonymous said...

Debby, I just wanted to stop by and tell you how much I loved your card for SSCC. That butterfly is beautiful.

Deb said...

oh wow, stunning, love that butterfly! hugs Debx

Safo said...

Необычное решение сделать фон из кусочков бумаги - получилось красиво!

Diane said...

It's absolutely stunning!!!

Mandy said...

I love,love,love this card,,everything is just perfect..the colours,the layout,the butterfly is totally gorgeous...A fantastic card...
Mandy xx

nessy said...

beautiful card debby ~love the paper background, so striking!!
vanessa xx

Leigh said...

Oh how excellent is this card? Just fantastic Debby.

theneon said...

Debby, I love the story behind this beautiful creation -- no one could guess that such a delicate butterfly could carry such weight!

PinksyDoodles said...

Wow Debby! This is gorgeous, the background is fab, I am going to try this!
Clare x

mueppi said...

Wow..... Debby
your card is so fantastic!!!!
I love the butterfly!!!
Hugs Gisela

Debbie said...

This is beautiful Debby,and i did laugh at your story behind it,Hugs Debbie x

Trudy said...

Oh Debby how beautiful is your card!
Love your gorgeous paper and the image is so sweet
Hugs Trudy

Anonymous said...

Debby, I so needed that verse this morning, I think you did a good job with the card, with that verse in mind!!! Its such a beautiful card. I need to cling on to Him who gave Hosea that Word to write down!! Thanks for sharing!
Marja Rolfes
The Netherlands

Emma said...

Stunning card and so beautiful...
Hugs Emma x

Julie said...

A truly beautiful card Debby and the story behind it really does embody the challenge and the reality of Christian life. tfs

Christine said...

Awww Debby this is worth all the work you have put into it..stunning creation love the colours fab.

Hugs Christine xx

Dotty Jo said...

Great job with a difficult challenge theme Deb! Jo x

Donna said...

Wow this is so stylish and elegant...butterfly :) Donna x

Janniche Drivdal Eriksen said...

beautiful butterfly!
love it!

Anonymous said...

I loved reading about the process/struggle behind this card! It was worth it--the result is gorgeous! I love the torn paper background and of course the beautiful butterfly!
Hugs,
April